Thursday, January 26, 2012

A RELATIONSHIP.....TREAT IT LIKE A JOB


Some few years ago, one of my good friends (rather Older than me) gave me good insight for my relationship life. He told me “A relationship should be treated like a Job”.  Then I was in campus I did not have any job so I equated the same to an assignment. Let me tell you how I handled my assignments back in campus;
  •         I was either too over ambitious and did all the work exhaustively and completed it weeks before the deadline. In a nutshell I rushed them.
  •      I was either too lazy to work on them, then I would do them overnight the day before handing them in.
I bet you now realize why that advice was not really appropriate for a 20 year old mind. I recently go a new job and the analogy given to me earlier started to make sense. It is true that a relationship
may
work best when treated as a job. This is how…

COMMUNICATE
As in the work place learn how to reply to texts, emails and phone calls. Keep people updated on the progress of your department (read life). If a matter is to be discussed that is very important ensure that all the parties affected have some bearing to the decision made. It is unprofessional (relationship-wise) not to communicate if you will be late for a meeting and if you will not be able to make it for a date.

HAVE A PLAN
Getting into a relationship without a plan is like shooting with no aim. If a relationship is not viable kindly move on to the next viable project, do not go around in circles there will be very low or no profit in the long run. Set short term goals such as taking her out on date, making a phone call or even long term goals such as moving in together, getting married! Weigh the pros and cons of every decision then make a decision with lots of objectivity, sometimes listening to your heart clouds your mind. 

KNOW WHAT IS THERE IN THE MARKET
This can be your competitor’s profile. Who are they? Why would he/she choose them over you? What can you do to ensure that he/she does not lose interest in your products or services (Yes! services). If the lady loves poetry or fashion you better take her there over the traditional good ol’ movie theaters. Keep up with the current trends. 

MARKETING!!
The way you talk, dress and generally appearance says a lot about who are. Set a standard and stick to it. People are comfortable with consistency. Inconsistency may bring about distortion of the brand image. Good grooming and stay healthy to ensure that you have a wide base of prospective ‘suitors’. Be very careful with those that want free samples, ‘If they want constant supply of the milk, they’d better get the cow too!’

 The basic things we do in our day to day activity at work if applied with the same level of seriousness and enthusiasm in their relationships, would form very good relationships, my take. Think about it!!

4 comments:

  1. Great piece...Treat it like a job and be True to yourself in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely,what a way to phrase it.wonderful article :)

    ReplyDelete