Thursday, April 5, 2012

I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT !!!!

This week has been crazy, My mother was away for the last four days. I have been overwhelmed.... running the Kinyanjui's house should be a job on its own.  All my siblings have moved out but this bird here is not leaving the nest... ( atleast not yet ). When mother was away, the mice didn't play for sure. Naturally being the eldest and only one, I took over her responsibilities.

I thought Linet Scavo in desperate housewives was a busy one since all her kids were toddlers and they are messy.... Wrong, dealing with grown ups is equally challenging, because they are bright and smarter. There was a lot of budgeting to do, shopping, organizing, people to call, Hospital visits, repairs to be done, errands, bills to be paid, keeping tabs with extended family... and the list kept going on and on. I was maxed out.

"I don't know how she does it"- a movie starring Sarah Jessica parker couldn't have depicted it better, the working mom who has kids, a great career she keeps her on her toes, a husband who she also needs to keep happy, choices she has to make, people she has to dissapoint. My favorite part which is very true for us women is "The List." which we write in our heads every night before we sleep of stuff that needs to be done... its a great watch, but the best part is that in this small simple things we women do we get the greatest joy.


I do not consider myself selfish, nor lazy but if thats a glimpse of how it will be in the future, well its a scary world and frankly.. im not sure i am prepared for it. I like watching Kimora Lee Simmons ... oh its Hounsou nowadays ( the rate of divorce and remarrying is so fast, i cant keep track of last names).. Life on the fab lane, she has it all together... great kids, a whole business empire and she has not cracked! Amazing. she has her struggles but always comes out triumphant.

I think being a mother means you are completely selfless. A couple of times this week i had to give up some few things of my own to make sure that i did what i needed to be done. I still wonder how my mother does all that and keeps her cool... she must be a super mom, with very great super powers like loving unconditionally, knowing what to say at the right time, knows whats best for all of us. She also has very common slogans like " Because i said so", " Clean your room", " Do what your father says".

Its been four days only but it feels like a lifetime... i really now understand how much my mother does to keep that house running the way it does... but i think ill still need to figure out how she does it, perhaps with my own family... someday :-)


The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.
     -- W.R. Ross    

1 comment:

  1. aaawww........swit.i guess u'll nw loosen up on her...haha

    ReplyDelete